I have grown up in a family that loves God, people, and adventure. From the time I was little, my parents had us interacting with people of all ages and stages of life in order to see the beauty in each life we encountered and to realize the world was far bigger that us. Whether it was looking a homeless individual in the eyes, helping an elderly lady across the street, smiling at people or lending a listening ear, we were taught to value all of God's creation.
This belief was challenged for me when I went to Haiti on my first family missions trip. As a 13 year old, I was deeply impacted as I watched mothers offering me their babies, desperately pleading that I would give their precious child a better life than they could. I saw pain, fear and desolation deep in the eyes of these beautiful Haitians. Where was God in this despairing nation?
The next year we went to Trinidad and worked in a shanty village. The smell of poverty permeated the air. The team I went with began restoring the very run down community center. We worked along side men and women who were part of Alcoholics Anonymous. Each day we talked of God's love and grace in our lives and the hope He brings. Daily, relationships became closer. I was aware of our equality as people in ways I hadn't experienced before. Here I was, a 14 year old American girl who worried about looks, friends, money... painting along side of a 32 year old Trinidadian recovering alcoholic who was worried about looks, friends and money and it struck me that we're not that different. We're on level ground at the foot of the cross.
The last day we were there, Ashoke Baschew (the Trinidadian national leader of the mission organization we were partnering with) came to our Backyard Bible Club to present the hope of the gospel. He told of our Heavenly Father who sent His son to die for the world. A perfect man sent to save an imperfect world. A Father who by sacrificing His son was willing to validate me, accept me and love me for who I am and where I am at. A Father who instills passion, purpose and desires in our lives. A Father who gives gifts, offers comfort and peace. A Father who desires a relationship with His children more than anything.
As Ashoke talked to this gathering of almost 100 children, men, and women, I saw God work in a way I had never seen Him work. That day I saw God move in the hearts of many - as many as 25 - who responded to Ashoke's challenge to put their faith in the living God of the universe. I felt like I was experiencing a true taste of heaven. I saw people say "yes" to Jesus. I sat amongst a group of people who barely had homes or food to put on the table and yet they had a reason to smile. They had a Savior, provider and healer they could call upon. I saw Heaven's population grow before my very eyes and the awareness that we would spend eternity together was overwhelming.
So why Africa? Because I have asked to be sent. That day in Trinidad taught me that life is short and there is much to be done. I have fallen in love with Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and until I see Him face to face I want to help others realize their worth in Him and His love for them. I realize that "to the world I may just be somebody, but to somebody I could be the world." My prayer is that I will be a willing vessel. And that I will have courage. Courage to love, courage to cry, courage to laugh, courage to question, courage to doubt, courage to accept and courage to relax in the arms of my Savior.
If I am willing to stand for anything, may it be the Lord Jesus Christ.
Hey Jules, it sounded like your trip out went well. I know you will do a phenomenal job spreading the word of Christ as well as spreading joy to those in Uganda, whether it's through your funny jokes, Friesen cookies, or professional tennis skills. Blog you soon. Miss you
ReplyDelete