Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Unexpected Blessing

Moving to Uganda has been an incredible blessing to us as a couple; however, the reality of being thousands of miles away from family and friends has been a challenge.  I knew moving over we would have to miss out on some events in friends lives which would be hard, engagements, marriages, babies ect..  There have been quite a few of those in this last year that have been so hard to not be there in person for.  Every time one of those events happen, I find myself watching Facebook for photos or reports…. Wishing I was there to celebrate.

What I didn’t realize was God had a beautiful surprise for us in store.  After emailing to announce we were pregnant, I got an email from one of my dearest friends, Mary Stuckey.  We have been living a bit of a parallel life for a while now, so I should not have been surprised when she wrote to tell us  she was also pregnant and expecting about a month before we were… I would be home for her precious daughters birth.  Not only would I be in the states, but I would be home, just 30 minutes away from her! 

On July 4, 2013 we got the announcement that Summer had joined the world… a beautiful, perfect baby girl.   I was overcome with emotion as I realized how generous and kind our God is.  It seems minimal; however, it was monumental for me.  To be able to celebrate this precious life just hours after her birth,  and to connect with a close friend and family was a gift I wont forget. 

I am so grateful for this friendship and thankful for a God who cared about a desire I had and gave it to me in a more perfect way than I could have thought of!


Derek meeting summer at her one week and two day birthday
Welcome baby girl Summer, we love you!

1 comment: