Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A Thankful Reflection

Yesterday we held our annual staff appreciation event at CURE, an apt time after we celebrated Thanksgiving.  The day is filled with entertainment (a local brass band), skits, a fashion show, a catered feast and awards.  It was a day overflowing with laughter, pride and thankfulness.  Derek and I sat there and reflected on how much God had done at the hospital and our lives since the last appreciation event.  We were overcome with gratitude to work with the people we work with.  Just a few days before the event I was walking with a friend getting ready to leave the hospital when I noticed a visibly sad mother, hovered outside of the ward. She was with one of our general services members (a cleaner). Our colleague was kneeling down next to her, praying and counseling her.  I was so moved.  That wasn’t in her job description or even an expectation we had set for her.  She noticed a mom who was discouraged and felt it was right to be there for her…. I ask myself whether I would have even taken the time?

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration with friends and the next day Christmas music was on and our stockings were hung.  We (mostly I) mentally began preparing for Christmas.  What traditions do we want to start with Nathan, what gifts do I want to order, what advent devotions do we want to do… I began preparing.  As I was preparing I recalled a conversation I had with a friend a few weeks ago.  She works at CURE but her husband works on the other side of the country in a game park.  She was talking about how excited her son had been because his dad came home last night. 

The story went a bit like this:

Julie: “ Agnes, are you so excited your husband is home!!”
Agnes:  “Yes, but not as excited as (my son) Daniel is.  You see, for the last month many of Daniel’s friends’ fathers have come home.  And when they come home, they often give them some small money for sweets or a chapatti.  Every time they give some small piece to Daniel, and every time Daniel says, “My daddy is coming soon too, and when he comes, we can share more sweets.”  Every day he is saying this.  So last night, around 8pm, Daddy came home.  Daniel was so excited.  He said hello to Daddy but then he ran and knocked on every friend’s gate to tell him or her, ‘My Daddy is HOME.’ “

As I prepare for Christmas, I pray I have such anticipation for the celebration remembering our Father’s birth.  I pray that I am overcome with an expectant heart that I can’t wait to tell people why my house is decorated.  I pray I don’t get sidetracked by the small sweets and loose sight on the arrival of the King.  The best news came on Christmas many years ago:

“For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord” Luke 2:11




 

No comments:

Post a Comment