I am about to leave for a trip up north for a week, but I woke up this morning with a heart full of gratefulness and nostalgia. Easter is one of my favorite times, not only do I get to get a new outfit usually… and a great easter basket filled with favorites… my favorite breakfast of Almond Puff Pastry in the shape of a cross… and of course a Easter Egg hunt … but it is a time of reflection and celebration of an event which has transformed the course of history and the course of my life.
Last night I went to dinner at a restaurant on the top of this building overlooking down town Mbale on one side and mount Wanale on the other side. It was a full moon and had just risen over the mountain as we arrived. It was so interesting to have the chaos of the night scene in Mbale on one side and the breathtaking peace felt in the strength of the magnitude of Winale on the other. I found myself staring at the mountain and moon in awe of our Creator. He has done a great job! As I sat eating wonderful food, great fellowship and a spectacular view, I was reminded of the incredible love of our Savior for us.. for me. I looked at the hustle in the streets on the eve of one of the most powerful days in history. Are those walking along the street aware of the power they have access to? Am I?
As I continued to think of Good Friday and Easter, I began to think of our Mamas and babies in the ward. I pondered what Easter meant to them, what does the power of the resurrection mean to a woman who has been betrayed by her clan and labled “unclean”; what does it mean for a little baby who may be neglected because he has not lived up to the expectations of his family and tribe? It began to sound familiar of a man who did not live up to the expectations of the society and was nailed to the cross for the crime he did not commit in order that I could write today about the relationship I have with him.
Maybe these moms get it a little more than I do. Maybe they can understand what it felt like to be shunned and chastised by your own family, and nailed to death being innocent. Maybe they understand the power of the resurrection which broke the chains of sin, and gave power which gives life, the power that gives worth and value. Maybe they get the love that a parent has for their children that will motivate them to face the jeering society to accomplish a task that the common eye cannot see. Do these babies even get it a little more? Clinging to the power of Love that Jesus offeres with complete dependence and innocence, resting in the truth that they too, are created in the image of God and are worthy of a sinless man dying on the cross so that they have the opportunity to spend eternity with Him.
I pray that this Easter, I will be aware of the impact that the power of the resurrection has in my life. It is easy to see a need of a Savior in a land plagued in many ways, however, the need does not stop here, nor is it limited to a need for a Savior, but a need for a Lord. I am more aware this year than ever of my incredible need for Christ to be Lord and Savior of my life. I pray this Easter I will learn from the Mamas and babies in the ward and that I will have eyes to see how the deep love of our Savior and have the humility to grasp on to the power of the Cross.
He HAS risen, He has risen indeed!
No comments:
Post a Comment