At six years old, a young girl is orphaned and is left with her aunt to care for her. After six months, her aunt notices a large growth growing from the child’s left side, the growth begins to pull at her eye lid and her ear begins to be displaced… there is a problem going on. Her Aunt gets advice to bring her to CURE, and that was the day we were blessed to meet little Miss Evas.
Evas is a six-year-old girl from Western Uganda and may be one of the prettiest, most fun little girls we have met yet. She is amazing. This little girl came to us in so much pain as there was tremendous growth and weight on this little frame. Yet, there was not anything that could hold her spunk in. She smiled, laughed, joked and fought through this pain.
Yesterday I was given a gift at chapel Evas sat on me, playing with my phone, necklace and observing the Mzungu’s arms. She smiled and laughed as we sang and began dancing, as the beat got stronger. Each time she looked at me, I saw the face of Jesus in this precious girl. Her eyes sparkled as she laughed... she was giving me life.
The afternoon progressed, as we were able to sit and enjoy fruit together, throw a basketball around and sit in peace and color. She would not let go of my hand as we walked; my heart was beginning to melt. As I said goodnight to her last night, she wrapped her little legs around me and her arms grew tight around my neck… she was not going to let go. I was humbled by this small act of dependence.
I began to wonder what this beautiful girl had seen, felt and experienced. What it must feel like to have your parents taken away at such young age, to be displaced from her home and then to have a condition where you are to be in the hospital for weeks. Was the fear of saying goodnight wrapped up in the experience of once saying goodnight to her mother who was not there the next morning? Was there a fear of not having the safety of a hug when she awoke?
There were a few days that we would walk into the ward and see beads of sweat gathering on her forehead and tears welling in her eyes. I wondered what was going on in her little mind, was she missing her parents, was she feeling pain, was she fearing what lay ahead? Although I do not know the thoughts of a child, I rely on the truth that arms are holding her far more reliable than mine every minute of her precious life. That even in the loneliness of her nights, her Father is placing a kiss on her forehead, she is not alone.
This girl is a treasure. Her life has blessed me more than I could have expected, her smile has brought life and her enthusiasm has rejuvenated our hearts. She has a road ahead of her, but I am confident in this, “that He who began a good work in [Evas], will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” That is the hope that we can cling to, the certainty of which is unseen. Evas has been the piece of heaven in my last few days, may the vision of her keep us pressing toward the goal set before us, may we love more deeply, live more passionately and laugh more fully because of the life we have been given. It is for this reason I give thanks today.
You can't imagine what this blog entry means to me!
ReplyDelete