Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Your Grace is Enough

“ Your grace is enough, your grace is enough for me” these words filled the sanctuary as little children belted out these heart felt words at the Watoto Church in Kampala, their main similarity—they were all orphans.

Last Sunday I sat in church with tear filled eyes and goosebumps as I watched about a hundred children ranging in age from about 5-13 sing and dance about how great their Father God was… their only true parent. I sat in disbelief as I heard their music, felt their joy and saw their radiant faces, “ what was it they were so joyful about?” My thoughts began to listen to the words they were singing with passion and belief, they were singing about the greatness of our God, the fact that it is His grace alone which is enough for them.

My skeptical self began to think about the lives of these children, they had been orphaned, found, loved, given opportunity and have basked in the grace of their Father. They get it… His grace is enough for them… I sat there listing in my head all they needed, school fees, uniforms, shoes, an education, food, toys…. And then they spoke it to me loud and clear “ His grace is enough for me Julie.”

I sat amazed as I was convicted, the tangibles that I wanted to give these beautiful kids could NEVER compare to the gift they had already received from their Father, He had given them the love, acceptance, grace, peace, joy, hope, and value that their earthy fathers could never give.
As much as I want these opportunities for these babies, I realized in that day that maybe these little ones understood the Father in ways I have not. Have I changed these words to say, “ your gifts are enough for me… or my education is enough for me...or my family is enough for me???” 

I was humbled as I listened to these children sing the truth they have felt and know so intimately. It did not take away from the realization that they still do need school fees, clothes, food, a house ect but what it confirmed was that they have the most precious gift they could ever dream of, they have a Father in Heaven who cares more for them than I ever can, it is Him who provides them with that which I can never provide and it is Him who prompts me to give what I can to these orphans.

My prayer today is that with all my being, just like these dancing, singing, smiling orphans, I will too be able to sing to my Father, “ Your grace is enough for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment